lunes, 15 de marzo de 2010



My Experience in Finland

Two years ago the scholarship "Erasmus" was something totally unknown to me, I had never thought to get out of Spain for my studies.
Finally one day, without knowing the reason, I decided to ask. I always wondered how people live in other countries and especially one so different from ours , as is Finland.
The destination I chose was Finland, a country that is geographically located between Europe and the Scandinavian Peninsula, a place that I will never forget.

Before traveling to Turku I had heard that Finland has one of the most competitive economies in the world and an excellent educational system. These are the reasons why I decided to be part of this society for a while, to try to learn as much as possible from it.
People in Turku , the city where I live, have been really nice to me since the first day I was here.

The first welcome was great, because of two Finnish girls, Veera and Bafrin, my mentors who were waiting for me at the airport . They picked me up , showed me the city a little and took me to my new home, the Student Village, a community inhabited by exchange students, and formed by people from different countries.
The thing that caught my attention the most at first was that, although the city is considerably small , the mixture of cultures was impressive. German, English, Malaysian, American, Chinese, Austrian, Italian, Polish ... and an endless list of nationalities walking on the snowy streets of Turku, and most of them live in the community mentioned above.

The Most surprising thing has been the few hours of daylight, and the large amount of snow everywhere, making the streets completely different from the landscapes of Spain.

The beginning of school has been somewhat difficult because I had to get used to attend classes daily and the language of the courses for the exchange students was English. Anyway, the dedication of teachers and the support of the staff of the university made my adjustment period pretty short, because they have always helped me a lot.

Apart from the classes, the atmosphere among students is really nice. Many meetings, parties and gatherings make the time fly literally.
My goal is to get to know the culture and lifestyle of Finland and Finns, because in my opinion this kind of experience will open my mind . You can learn from other traditions, behaviors and attitudes of this country.

Erasmus is a unique experience that opens your mind and makes you grow, and we still have ahead of us many wonderful trips, parties, good friends. You can interact with different people so you can understand the different habits and learn how to deal with a international situation . I'm also making friends from all over the world , friends that I would like to visit sometime .

To conclude I want to say that my expectations have been met and I am happy to be in Finland.

0 comentarios: